Interim management is the engagement by an organisation of an independent executive within the middle to senior management band in a line or staff role for a limited and usually fixed period of time.
Interim Management Introduction
The first – and most important – question to ask by anyone looking at Interim Management as a major career break is this:-
Exactly what is Interim Management?
It is important because you would rarely have thought of asking it; because the answer is likely to be slightly different than you expected; and it will influence how you will approach not only Interim Management but also every other aspect of working Independently.
Interim management is the provision of effective business solutions by an independent, board or near-board level manager or executive, over a limited time span. Solutions may include change, transformation and turnaround management, business improvement, crisis management, and strategy development. Interim managers are often experienced in multiple sectors and disciplines.
This Definition – probably the first with any sort of recognition – only covers part of what you need to know. Please look carefully at our Agenda Items – Definitions – and also Interim Managers are Self Drive Workers.
Our overall approach is based on our MasterClasses interacting with our comprehensive working website which covers, in a structured way, the planned programme of effective support to those taking part. This is reached through our Learning Management System and includes copies of all slides and full Delivery Partner Notes
Access is available to Clients only and through our Pathfinder Programme.
Additional follow-up support is available by arrangement .
Call us: 08081 565604 / 07785 297059
Email us: [email protected]
Here we set out the Agenda for each of the three MasterClasses that constitute our Interim Management Programme. Each MasterClass lasts for one hour. A distinctly concentrated approach!
- MasterClass 1 – Definitions and Overview.
- MasterClass 2 – Developing and delivering your Personal Professional Product (PPP.)
- MasterClass 3 – How to win work.
Interim Manager Attributes
- Broad operational experience
- Knowledge of a specific industry, market
- Particular skills in a functional area
- Proven expertise in delivering results for similar assignments
- Immediate availability
Interim Management MasterClass 1
Definitions and Overview.
- Welcome to Interim Management
- About the Delivery Partner
- Interim Management Definitions
- What are Interim Managers – What do they do?
- Interim Managers are Self Drive Workers
- Why do Organisations hire Interim Managers?
- The View from the Recruiter
- The Interim Management Market
- Remember – you are running a business
- What do Interim Managers do? (What should you do?)
- Why do Organisations hire Interim Managers?
- The Demand. Where does the work come from?
- Interim Management Providers
- Relevant websites to look at.
- Your Back Office – Business Planning and Strategy; Marketing; Selling; Networking.
- Governance, Accounting, Financial, – including Personal
- Next Steps – Developing and delivering your Personal Professional Product (PPP) and How to Win Work
Interim Managment MasterClass 2
Developing and delivering your Personal Professional Product (PPP.)
- Think about your Personal & Professional Profiles ( NB: The Discovery MasterClass)
- Remember – You are running a Business
- Business Models
- What is Your Product?
- The View from the Recruiter
- Your Back Office
- Relevant websites to look at
- Next Steps GO – of NO GO?
Interim Management MasterClass 3
How to win work.
- Your Business Plan – what does this mean?
- The Business Plan – things to bear in mind
- Your Marketing Headlines Plan
- Your Tactical Marketing Plan
- Where does the work come from?
- Routes to Market
- Selling – Revisiting the Demand
- The Recruiter Model and Intermediaries
- Networking/ Peer group
- Some useful external sources
- Summing Up
Whilst you may have a myriad of questions, here are some of the most common. Some are probably more relevant only to those who have not yet made the leap into interim management, whereas others will undoubtedly be of interest to more seasoned campaigners.
- Interim Management definitions – the definition of Interim Management has changed and continues to change. In this section, you’ll find some of the history
- Remember, you are running a business. When you choose interim management as a career, you are actually choosing to run a professional services business with all that entails.
- What are Interim Management Providers? – Interim Management Providers are effectively agencies for those looking for interim managers. They are a very valuable route to market, but it pays to understand how they work in some depth, before approaching them.
- WFL’s List of primary Interim Management Providers. There are perhaps hundreds of companies purporting to be Interim Management Providers, though all are not equal in their commitment and professionalism.
- Annual Interim Management Survey. The Institute of Interim Management runs an annual survey, where Interim Managers can vote for their’favourite’ Interim Management Providers. The report gives the top 100 based on these votes.
- The Interim Management Market – size and research. It’s been notoriously difficult to get anything authoritative about the size and breakdown of the interim market. By their nature Interim Managers are independent and don’t tend to report on what they are up to! This section gives the best indications based on what research there is.
- Business Planning & Strategy Just because it’s only you in the company doesn’t mean you don’t need a business plan!
- Marketing – (Note 6.1.8)
- Selling and Networking – (Note 6.1.9)
- Accounting & Financial and Personal Financial Management – as you will be running a business, it’s important to understand the financial implications
Phil Doggett’s new book “The Secrets of Interim Management
There are – and have been over the years – a number of books written about Interim Management – here’s probably the latest. It’s well worth reading. To read it, you’ll need to buy it from Amazon – see below.
We think that Phil Doggett is typical of what is best about a successful Interim Manager– and he wrote this book when he “retired” (in italics advisedly!) Other things may well have worked equally as well, but here he describes what has worked for him.
This is what Phil has to say about his book:- “The Secrets of Interim Management”, a new and unique handbook, has just been published. As the first of its kind, it is an invaluable guide for:
- Aspiring interim managers
- Interims just starting out
- Established interim managers
It also gives valuable insight to those organisations considering using interim managers and those working in the interim industry.
The book is based on personal experience from a thirty-year career as an independent interim, covering over 40 separate assignments. It has three sections:
- What interim management is about
- How interim management works in practice
- The Secrets of Interim Management
The book reveals:
- The “50 Secrets of Interim Management”
- The “ Essential Interim Assignment Criteria”
- The “10 Interim Daily Commandments”
The book is available now on Amazon. Follow this link: www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Interim-Management-Handbook/dp/1527210987
Phil Doggett would be pleased to receive any comments or questions that you might have on [email protected]
Relevant Websites to look at – and mentioned in this Section:-
- REC.uk.com: The Recruitment & Employment Confederation – the de facto professional association of the recruitment Industry in the UK
- interim-management.org.uk: The Interim Management Association – The professional association of the UK Interim Management industry and part of REC
- iim.org.uk: The Institute of Interim Managers – The professional association of individual Interim Managers
- Interim-Hub.com: The Interim hub – a source of info about Interim Management
- apm.org.uk: The Association of Project Management – one of the two UK membership organisations in the UK With 22k individual members and 590 corporate members
- pmi.org.uk: The Project Management Institute – one of the two UK membership organisations in the UK – this one being the UK arm of US global parent. PMI has 3k UK members, mainly corporate
- iconsulting.org.uk: The Institute of Management Consultants – and part of the Institute of Management – see below
- mca.org.uk: The Association of Management Consultancies – the UK professional body for management consulting firms
- managers.org.uk: The Institute of Management – large, long established and well-known – but concerned with employees. But certainly worth a look.
- IPSE.co.uk: The Association of Independent Professionals and the Self Employed is the largest association of independent professionals in the EU. With 68k members, IPSE is a not-for-profit organisation owned and run by its members. It was previously known as The Professional Contractors Group, focusing on IT Contractors, still the bedrock of its membership
Our overall approach is based on our MasterClasses interacting with our comprehensive working website which covers, in a structured way, the planned programme of effective support to those taking part. This is reached through our Learning Management System which includes copies of all slides and full Delivery Partner Notes. This is reached through our Learning Management System and includes copies of all slides and full Delivery Partner Notes. Access is available to Working Free Clients only and through an agreed Working Free Pathfinder Programme. More information please complete the form below and we will get in touch.